jueves, 27 de mayo de 2010

BLT's and Lemons




For lunch yesterday I made Club Sandwiches and French Fries!! It was so good I have been eating a spinoff of that meal every meal since (and once in between). I liked my lunch so much that after Enrique and I woke up from our nap yesterday I decided that I had to have another one. Well maybe 3 slices of bread and chicken and bacon and all the veggies was a bit much so I opted for a BLT with avocado. It was delicious and as I woke up for the third time during the night to use the restroom (not my favorite part of being pregnant) I found myself thinking about my sandwich. I was VERY tempted to go make one but I decided that I could wait for breakfast. So sure enough breakfast rolls around and I am having my BLT with avocado and Jose is looking at me like I am nuts. I don't think this is a pregnancy craving. It is reminding me of the road trip we took as a family in the mid nineties to Oklahoma to visit my Dad's family. The whole way there breakfast, lunch, or dinner I ordered BLT's but with turkey instead of avocado. The distance between Southern California and Eastern Oklahoma measures out to be A LOT of BLT's.
Now, I know that bacon is probably not the healthiest thing out there but in my defense Mexico's bacon is super thin and they are tiny pieces, the two slices that I use don't come close to covering the bread ;) But on to my next subject LEMONS!!! Once or twice a year Soriana gets yellow lemons in stock. Some of you may say aren't all lemons yellow?? Well no, not here they aren't a lime is a limon (lemon) and lima is some other citrus fruit that is sort of sweet. I spent a year in Queretaro and never once saw a yellow lemon and I came to miss them quite a bit especially since the presence of the lime in at almost every meal. It wasn't until my second year here in Navojoa that I first saw a real lemon. They were at Walmart in Obregon (about a 45 minute drive from Navojoa), they were real Sunkist lemons that cost 10 pesos each (a little less than a dollar which is a lot for here). I bought a bunch and froze the juice, I even kept the empty shells to clean my sink with. There just isn't anything like the smell of lemon. So now I get super excited when lemon time rolls around. I haven't thought to ask anyone at the supermarket when they get them in because I prefer the element of surprise.

5 comentarios:

  1. Wow I haven't seen a yellow lemon in 2 yrs. Like you said they just don't exist here. Its one of those things I think my daughter will only know via a book until she visits my family. lol

    ResponderEliminar
  2. The scent of orange blossoms filling every corner of the town, the fresh baked bread you used to make, Mom's perfume as she readies for work, and the turkey (that you kids prepared) browning in the oven all compete with the power of lemon zest.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Well, we finally figured out how to add a photo. Our lemon trees are full of blooms. Hopefully we will have plenty to send to Navojoa this winter. That is, if Lily doesn't play with them before they are picked :)

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Jessie,
    Yes there is a Walmart but it is not quite like the ones in the US (not quite... is a term I use frequently here ;)

    Amanda,
    I am pretty sure that we get lemons because we are kind of close to the border (about 12 hours), they are for sure American lemons ;) But I am growing my own too, in about 3 more years I should have some product ;)

    ResponderEliminar