miércoles, 19 de mayo de 2010

My Nana's biscuits



So I am without a car for at least a week, probably much more. I am not quite sure what is wrong with it but Jose said the dealership said it would take a while to fix so of course we are sending it somewhere else. Ok, so I have a problem, I have places to go and many things to do. Solution public transportation easy enough right. Well when it is 100 degrees at 10:00am that complicates things, when you have a two year old (days away from being three) to tow with you that complicates things further. When you are pregnant and have a neurotic husband that thinks you shouldn't walk while pregnant that pretty much kills the whole solution. SSSSOOO what to do when you can't leave the house??? Make biscuits of course!!!

Enrique and I got out all of the ingredients and started working. I gave him a little bit of dough and he had a ball. He made Buzz (of toy story), Papa, and a dog. However, he did not like the idea of cooking them so they are sitting on my countertop where they will probably dry and be stuck there forever ;)

I feel very fortunate to have an oven that it functional here. 95% of my friends and family owns ovens but they do not work. Some of them are missing parts and all of them are used for storing tupperware and grocery bags. My mother-in-law has an oven AND it works. However, she ONLY uses it on Christmas Eve to make turkey.

I find that when I am feeling down here in Navojoa that making something in my oven immediately cheers me up. Today I made my Nana's biscuits for breakfast. When my little brother and I were young we would spend parts of our summer and winter vacations in Lindsay California with our paternal grandparents. My Nana taught me just about everything I know about cooking and baking. She did almost everything from scratch, and I thought she was the best cook around. However, if you ask my Dad he can tell you some interesting stories about childhood meals that he did not particularly enjoy. Quite a few of them involved ground beef if I recall correctly. To this day I prefer her enchiladas over any that I have eaten here in Mexico. One of my fondest food memories of her is waking up in the morning and making biscuits or waffles, hash browns, and sausage patties. At home we usually ate cereal or frozen waffles with peanut butter in the car while practicing spelling words (don't get me wrong that is also a very fond memory of mine). But breakfast at Nana and Papa's house was so different and very special for us.
It has been a while since I have made biscuits here and when I took that first bite I was transported back to Lindsay, back to my grandmother's dining room with the green carpet and billowy white curtains. Back to being so excited that we could hardly wait to start the day because whatever we were going to do it was going to be great!

4 comentarios:

  1. Aww, that's so sweet, Nikki! I feel the same way about Nana and her food! Still to this day her voice rings in my ears whenever I make pancakes: "Make the batter thin!" hahaha
    I love your blog! And you've inspried me to blog some more. Im beat tonight, but I will be just-a-blogin' tomorrow! Keep it up, kiddo! =)

    ResponderEliminar
  2. PS: What is your blog called? (in English)

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Hey Jessie,
    My blog literally means breakfasting beans ;) Something I NEVER would have done in the US but is perfectly normal to me now. And I am not talking refried beans, whole beans in their broth with corn tortillas!! ;)
    And your Nana's pancake comment got me to thinking about her chicken and rice casserole and how she would have to make a separate one for Grandpa with pork chops ;) Good times.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Ahhh, yes! The curry chicken! I still have never been able to make that just right! (Breakfast beans, LOL!)

    ResponderEliminar