viernes, 15 de abril de 2011

Stolen Moments


I was reading one of Leslie Limon's (motherhoodinmexico.com/) entries about being home alone and not quite knowing what to do with herself and that got me to thinking about how just a few years ago I hated to be alone. I never wanted Jose to go anywhere without me and I would get really sad when Saturday rolled around because I knew that meant that he would be gone ALL day at the ranch. Then Enrique came along and I would have done anything to get just a few hours to myself where I didn't have to be doing housework or taking care of the baby. Although I must say I was very lucky in that Enrique took long naps and slept through the night by 2 months. But being a first time Mom I had no idea what I was doing most of the time and never took people's advice about sleeping when the baby sleeps. To this day I have to stop and tell myself that the laundry, dishes, meal prep. etc. can wait. Stop and lay down, the baby is asleep so you should be too! So now Enrique is in school for 4 hours a day and Jose is at work so when there is that magical moment where the baby is asleep and I do not need a nap I hardly know what to do with myself. I remember being a teenager sleeping the day away, getting up and not having to worry about anything having to do with housework etc only to go out with friends to the movies or get a bite to eat. Now I can not imagine having a day like that and I would feel pretty guilty if one ever rolled around. So I guess the conclusion that I have come to is that I am very thankful to my wonderful parents for giving my brother and I such a nice childhood. Sure, we had to help out around the house and I got more than one pair of shoes thrown away by my Dad for having left them out in the living room. But we did not have adult worries they let us be kids. I should have enjoyed it more but part of the innocence of being a child is not knowing how fleeting childhood is. I am very appreciative of my parents and I can only hope to give my boys the same luxury.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario